Followers

Saturday 14 October 2017

Fios speed different with Linux vs Windows

Source: www.speedguide.net --- Friday, October 13, 2017
I have a strange problem that I could use some help with. I have Verizon 15/2 fios and have been running speed tests this past week since I noticed a considerable slowdown. Before I get too deep into this let me give some background: 1). I have 4 PC's 2 desktop units and 2 laptops. 2). First desktop was reformatted and a clean install of XP with SP3 was installed. 3). Second desktop has Linux Mint installed on it. 4). First laptop has XP with SP3 installed. 5). Second laptop has Vista. On desktop #1 I go to speakeasy.net and run a speed test. I get 2.5/1.8. I do the same test on speedtest.net and get the same slow results. I test on desktop #2 the "Linux" box and I get full 15/2. I then test all my other Windows based PC's and they all have the slow 2.5/1.8 speed. I then boot into a ubuntu linux "Live CD" and run the speed tests again on desktop #1 and I get full 15/2. So the network card in desktop #1 is fine and this is either a router or a Windows thing. I contact Verizon and they agree to replace my actiontec router. I get the new router and the same problems still exist. They direct me to a different speed test site "myspeed.visualware" and it shows the full 15/2, so they say my line is fine and they can't help anymore. I download a lot of usenet stuff and I used to get my full 15 meg download, but now I'm only getting 2.5 meg. I'm also seeing the same slow speeds on speedtest.net and speakeasy.net. All of my Windows based ...



from Windows http://ift.tt/2kNLDlV

No comments:

Post a Comment