Followers

Thursday 19 October 2017

Negron’s Impact: Mr. October, Nobody Does It Better

Source: www.nysportsday.com --- Wednesday, October 18, 2017
MLB recently announced that the most valuable player award for the World Series would be named the Willie Mays Award . It’s a nice gesture because Mays was a great Baseball player, one of the ten greatest of all time. However, when it comes to the World Series, nobody did it better than Mr. October, Reggie Jackson. For that reason I will tell you why this award should have been called the “Mr. October Award”! You are talking about a guy (Reggie) that played in six World Series, won four world championships and was the most valuable player in two. You are also talking about a player who saw three pitches in game six of the 1977 World Series and hit three home runs. I remember after he hit the first homer, I suggested that he take a curtain call and he said no. After he hit the second homer I asked him again to take a curtain call and again he refused for whatever the reason. I said to him,” If you hit a third you will take one then.” and Reggie said ‘Man your crazy but I will.’” Wouldn’t you know it but on the first pitch from Charlie Hough, he would hit a knuckleball deep into the black in center field. When he got into the dugout as he started to sit down I went to his ear and said, “You promised the fans a curtain call.” And then I started to push him out of the dugout–I must add I didn’t have to push hard. That game would become one of the greatest in Yankees history. One of the biggest songs of that year (1977) was Carly Sim ...



from Baseball http://ift.tt/2kZUd1l

No comments:

Post a Comment