Followers

Monday 2 October 2017

The Seattle Mariners won't win the 2017 World Series, but they do win tonight's game against the Angels

Source: http://ift.tt/13Xs49Q --- Sunday, October 01, 2017
You heard it here definitely. Tonight was a meaningless Baseball game for two teams whose seasons had already ended before tonight's start. The Mariners won this meaningless game. Kyle Seager , Yonder Alonso , and Jacob Hannemann hit home runs. Hannemann's 404 footer was his first at the major league level. Edwin Díaz pitched beautifully, Dan Altavilla less so. I'm not sure what else there is to say. The ends of things have always made me melancholy, Baseball seasons particularly so. Days, weeks, months, and years are often conceptually meaningless in our minds, but somehow the arbitrary time periods of sports seasons encourage us to consider the past with greater clarity. Tonight, on the eve of our farewell to Baseball, Andrew Albers lasts 4.1 innings and gives up three home runs; I watch him and recall his Mariners debut, on the Women in Baseball Night, when I looked around the 'Pen during the panel and felt an unequaled sense of pride and camaraderie. Mitch Haniger goes 5 for 5 tonight, but all I can think about is the game against Texas when Guillermo Heredia homered, and Haniger made a game-saving catch, and I believed in every choice I had made. Nelson Cruz waits at home plate for a victory hug, after Seager mashes a three-run homer, and I take a moment, amidst all this self-indulgent reflection, to appreciate that I've spent the past three years cheering for one of the most fun players in Baseball. Alonso homers immediate ...



from Baseball http://ift.tt/2g1lxax

No comments:

Post a Comment