Followers

Saturday, 4 November 2017

An open letter to Shohei Ohtani

Source: http://ift.tt/13Xs49Q --- Friday, November 03, 2017
A player who can change Baseball should come to a city that needs a change. 拝啓 小谷 勝丙, それは非常に寒いです。 あなたが暖かく滞在していることを願っています。 And that’s enough Google translate. I apologize for the very bad Japanese, but I thought I should make an effort, similar to the effort you have made in learning English. Shohei Otani's life goals he wrote in high school were made public, and I translated them in these 2 pics. Red text I'm not 100% sure of http://pic.twitter.com/bFJUdtxTxw — NPB on reddit (@NPB_Reddit) February 5, 2017 I don’t know a lot about Japanese culture, and what I do know is leftover from working at my college’s writing center and studying different norms of cultural communication. One thing that I learned in researching how to write a Japanese-style letter is you often open with general talk of the seasons, even in formal business letters, and close by circling back around to that, something I was happy enough to input in Google translate. “It has become cold.” That’s not just a description of the weather outside right now, but a metaphor for Baseball in Seattle over the last 20 years. The first time the Mariners made the playoffs, you, Shohei, were one year old. They made it to the postseason again in 2000 and 2001, when you were in first grade, and each time they failed to make it to the World Series. They lost in 1995, when they were made of magic and refused to lose, until they did; they lost in 2000, when Kazuhiro Sasaki won Rookie of ...



from Baseball http://ift.tt/2yrrIjs

No comments:

Post a Comment