Followers

Friday 12 January 2018

Embracing the Fan/Media Conundrum in Women’s Soccer

Source: backlinesoccer.com --- Thursday, January 11, 2018
There has been something on my mind lately that I can’t seem to shake. I have a hard time calling myself a fan of women’s soccer in the way I call myself a fan of Baseball. Maybe it’s because I’ve been a Baseball fan since my uncle, who lived just outside of Boston at the time, placed a Red Sox hat on my head in the second grade. The draw of Fenway has been an unwavering part of my identity since. Baseball gave me something to share with my grandmother, a staunch Yankee fan; a woman whose own father walked her down the aisle on her wedding day in 1952 only to leave the church shortly after to go to his car to listen to the Yankees’ playoff game on the radio. The then Brooklyn Dodgers won that game, by the way, 6 to 5 in 11 innings before the Yankees won the Series. Women’s soccer is a much more recent addition to my sport loving heart, t hough often my devotion to the sport feels more academic than passionate. It’s the kind of non-casual pursuit that forces my attention to be directly on it versus simply having it hum along in the background of my life the way Baseball does. I put on a Baseball game in the summer and go on with my life, looking up from my laptop to check the score or to see where the ball is going when I catch the start of action out of the top of my visual field. When I put on a soccer game, on the other hand, my attention leaves the screen only so long as to compose a tweet or write a note to talk about later ...



from Baseball http://ift.tt/2D4rq4o

No comments:

Post a Comment