Followers

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Browns cut veteran receiver Andrew Hawkins, who took stand on social issues and inspired teammates during time in Cleveland

Source: www.ohio.com --- Monday, February 27, 2017
No Browns player proved to be a more fearless leader during the past three years than wide receiver Andrew Hawkins. Yet the business of the NFL, where production and financial considerations supersede everything, led the Browns to terminate the contract of Hawkins and announce his release Monday. In a video published on Uninterrupted.com, Hawkins explained he met last week with the Browns, who went 1-15 this past season, and the two sides agreed it would be best to part ways. He had one season left on his contract and was scheduled to make $1.8 million in 2017. “I want to thank the Cleveland Browns for not only understanding my situation and where I’m at in my career, but more importantly giving me the opportunity to wear the storied orange and brown over the last three seasons,” Hawkins said. “We didn’t have the success that we hoped for, but at the same time, I’m confident that we laid the groundwork for a bright future. “So to Cleveland Browns fans, thank you from the bottom of my heart for rooting for me, supporting me and my family over the last three seasons. Be optimistic because Hue Jackson is one of the best coaches in all of football, and he’s changing the culture there on a daily basis.” Hawkins tried to spearhead a cultural shift beyond football by taking a stand on social issues. In 2014, he wore a T-shirt while the Browns warmed up for a home game against the Cincinnati Bengals to support two black Ohioans killed by ...



from NFL http://ift.tt/2moGVuY

No comments:

Post a Comment