from Breaking News http://ift.tt/1WJMpfn
Followers
Sunday, 12 June 2016
Mitt Romney: I won't campaign against Donald Trump, but will criticize his 'destructive' comments (+video)
Source: www.deseretnews.com - Saturday, June 11, 2016
DEER VALLEY — Mitt Romney said Saturday at his annual political retreat that he's not going to campaign against Donald Trump now that he's the GOP nominee, but will continue to call him out on "destructive" comments. "I know a lot of folks are saying, 'Mitt, just get off your high horse on this and get behind the guy.' But these things are personal. I mean, I love this country. I love the founders. I love what this country is built upon, and its values," he said. "Seeing this is breaking my heart for the party," Romney said, his voice quavering with emotion as the audience of several hundred business and other leaders who helped fund his 2012 run for president broke into sustained applause. He acknowledged that "90 percent" of Republicans will vote for Trump, but said both the controversial businessman and the Democrats' presumptive nominee, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, will be destructive to the nation. Romney said he's not trying to turn anyone against Trump at this point, noting the concern over future appointments to the U.S. Supreme Court is a "darn good reason" to get behind the GOP candidate. Still, in an on-stage interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer at the Stein Eriksen Lodge near the end of the fourth annual E2 Summit, Romney repeatedly criticized Trump for statements that he said may have a "trickle down" effect on the culture. Romney spoke of his own father, a former governor of Michigan who was born in Mexi
from Breaking News http://ift.tt/1WJMpfn
from Breaking News http://ift.tt/1WJMpfn
Labels:
Breaking News
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment