Followers

Tuesday 28 August 2018

Remedy’s new game, Control, lets you destroy and manipulate everything using a secret physics engine

Source: www.vg247.com --- Tuesday, August 28, 2018
During GamesCom I got chance to check out an impressive hands-off demo of Control, an upcoming third-person shooter from Max Payne developer Remedy. Control sees lead character Jesse battling through The Oldest House, a mysterious environment that shifts, twists, and defies logic itself – imagine House of Leaves via X-Files. You fight through this space using a shapeshifting gun and telekinetic powers. The mechanics contrast against the bizarre setting, ensuring there’s a cohesiveness and predictability to your actions. Outside of the strange surprises that await in the set-pieces, story sequences, and character interactions, Remedy is attempting to ensure everything behaves exactly as you would expect when you interact with the world. Powering this cohesiveness is a new physics engine. The studio’s last game, Quantum Break, relied on Havok for its physics simulation, whereas Control is opting for another piece of mysterious middleware. “There are elements to it that I’m not sure I can talk about,” game director Mikael ‘Mixu’ Kasurinen tells me when I ask about the physics tech behind Control. “We have an awesome physics engine, that’s what I can tell you. We’re using middleware, but I’m not sure it’s information we can release yet. “I feel like there’s an opportunity with physics-based gameplay that I think some games have attempted in the past – great games like Psi-Ops and Second Sight, which we really like – but it was also ...



from GamesCom https://ift.tt/2of9slH

No comments:

Post a Comment